Subject: Re: Wrong "fake" disklabel for USB-dev with MSDOS partition on NBSD4
To: Lasse Hiller?e Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/14/2007 21:38:05
On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 10:04:45PM +0100, Lasse Hiller?e Petersen wrote:
> Help!
>
> I have a phone and a camera, both with USB. Under NetBSD 3.x they come
> up fine with a label showing an MSDOS partition on slice d.
> With NetBSD4 (4.99.4 dated 2006 Nov 24) they are incorrectly labeled as
> 4.2BSD slice a.
>
> How can I get the NetBSD 3 behaviour back?

You can't it was completely wrong!
In any case 'd' would have been the entire disk, the filesystem part would
always have been something different.
I actually suspect that the mbr partition containing the msdos/fat
filesystem now appears as 'e', whereas it used to appear in a lot of the
entries.

The 'problem' is that parts of the NetBSD kernel really want swap/dump
to be partition 'b', the netbsd partition 'c', and the whole disk 'd'.
When a netbsd disklabel is 'auto-created' from the mbr info, the 4 main
mbr partitions become 'e', 'f', 'g' and 'h' and the extended partitions
fill in from 'i' onwards.
So I'd expect that you need to use the 'e' partition [1].

The partition type doesn't matter that much either.

	David

[1] I have thought of making 'a' valid for disks where a single partition
is assigned (almost) all the space on the disk.

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk