Subject: Re: kernel multithreading?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/10/2007 14:12:57
On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 11:42:57AM -0500, Sten Daniel S?rsdal wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am currently searching for a BSD variant for a
>multiprocessor/multicore based application and i was curious as to how
>suitable the NetBSD kernel is to these types of applications.
>
>Is the kernel pretty much GIANT locked?
>
>Does anyone have any experience on how well it scales on 4 or 8 core
>situations?

I did some benchmarks recently of a single thread app running
on a quad dual core Opteron 2.0 Ghz / 8Gb RAM. I found near 1:1
performance per Ghz compared to a single cpu single core 2.2 Ghz
opteron system (at target load of 1)---as long as the load was kept
at 8. ie performance loss running with a target load above or
below (7 or 9) the number of cores.

// George