Subject: Re: Anyone use the Pioneer DVF-111D DVD Drive Burner?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/08/2007 18:21:33
Marc Tooley wrote:
> Yes. I love the drive. It's unfortunate that we can't use the Dangerous
> Brothers' firmwares without booting into Windows to update the drives,
> but before and after TDB firmware update I have been successfully using
> Pioneer DVR-111D for a *tonne* of work. It builds DVDs via growisofs,
> burns, reads, plays, and is generally a joy to work with.

Thanks for that info. What is it about having to update via Windows? I
ask because on the target PC now runs NetBSD only, no Win32 at all. It
has been thus now several years.

It is a server for Apache, PostgreSQL, XML-RPC, Tor and Entropy which all
run 24/7. So Win32 was a total waste of space in more ways than ones
most frequently cited.

I'd have to install the Pioneer drive first into some other box, one
which runs Win32, in order to perform this upgrade. What does this upgrade
do?

Respectfully,

Gan