Subject: Re: sysinst, serial console on soekris
To: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <gilb@nerim.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/27/2006 16:02:25
On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 10:40:10AM -0500, Mark E. Perkins wrote:

> I have pxeboot and the install kernel booting with no problems.  My question
> is about getting the serial console set correctly (I don't see what I'm
> looking for in the INSTALL docs).  Is sysinst going to DTRT on it's own or ask
> me if I'm using a serial console?  Or do I need to drop into a shell and run
> installboot after the installation is done (and before I reboot)?  As I recall
> from my last install on mac68k, sysinst leaves things so that only console
> logins are possible (i.e., ssh is either not enabled yet, or root logins via
> ssh are disabled; I don't remember which, just that network login by root is
> disabled), and I don't want to find myself with a fresh install and no way to
> use the 4801.  I'd like to get it right the first time.  :-)

I did force the console in my kernel config to /dev/com0 with
a specific speed but it's not required ;)

when you do the installboot, you can set the speed there.

Just install your NetBSD. If you did not change the Soekris default
com speed, type this :

installboot -m i386 -oconsole=com0,ioaddr=0x3f8,speed=19200 \
/dev/wd0d /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1

(change the speed setting if required)

On boot, the console speed and address will be set properly.

--
unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; find ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ;
yes ; fsck ; umount ; sleep