Subject: gzip: input file size weirdness.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: William Fletcher <wfletcher@omina.co.za>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/12/2006 00:33:47
--h/77pM/XNBmEJr8g

Hi list,

I'm piping dump through gzip and this is what I'm getting:
gzip: input file size >=3D 4GB cannot be saved: Inappropriate ioctl for dev=
ice

Below is the section of the script:=20
dump -${layer}auf - ${point} | gzip > ${dumpdir}/${fs}/${layer}.gz.part

The machine is NetBSD 2.0, but I have other 2.0 machines which aren't
exhibiting this error. The error doesn't seem to change anything either,
the files are the right size and I can restore them perfectly.

I thoroughly checklist all my machines and I've double checked this one
for anything odd that I might have missed, the custom kernel appears to be
identical to all its 2.0 buddies on the network. However, its hardware is
the oldest, it has only 384M.=20

The problem is, my script checks $? to make sure it is 0, it keeps on e-mai=
ling
me a warning. I only recently made the modification to check for this.
Google definedly isn't throwing me a bone either. Unless I've missed someth=
ing.

Is there any hope of resolving this issue or would turning the error checki=
ng
off be my best course of action?=20

Many thanks in advance and may no server room gnomes cause disruption for
you.

--=20
Omina Solutions  | http://omina.co.za | (012) Ph. 664-2480 F. 664-2474=20

--h/77pM/XNBmEJr8g