Subject: Re: Correct way to block web bots and other unwanted traffic?
To: Michael Gorsuch <mgorsuch@fogcreek.com>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/05/2006 19:12:42
On Dec 5, 2006, at 3:37 PM, Michael Gorsuch wrote:

> I like the idea of dynamically blocking the single IP for a period
> of time.
>
> I generally think blocking an entire network is a *bad thing*,
> considering that any number of potential 'good' users could be on
> that as well.

I was recently traveling in S America, and was unable to get to my
server for a while as I had moved into an area that for which I had
manually blocked the whole /16.   grumble.

I am revisiting the idea of setting up the denyhosts or other script
with an auto timeout, so I'd block just bad IPs, and even then have a
time limit (weeks/month/whatever) before allowing at least a few
connections again.

Brian