Subject: Re: /var/log/pflog
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Lord <david@lordynet.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/04/2006 10:28:27
On 4 Dec 2006, at 1:50, Jan Danielsson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>    I know partitioning can be a sensitive subject, and that's not really
> what this post is about.. But I noticed that NetBSD does not require a
> gigantic /var, so I made it into a modest 512MB partition on a system I
> administrate.
>
>    It seemed to be enough for a life time.
>
>    Well, except for one file: /var/log/pflog.
>
>    It's currently around 320MB(!).
>
>    Is this normal? (The system has been up and running for almost a year
> now). How do I (safely) shrink it?

Here I have ipfilter logging to /var/log/security and that file had
been growing at 15M/day with original amount of logging, now cut back
to only 3-4MB/week. Newsyslog then rotates and compresses weekly to
give files around 300-400K. So probably you need to check how syslog
and newsyslog are configured.

David