Subject: power cycling USB powered device
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brad du Plessis <bradd@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/30/2006 17:30:21
Hi,

I've got a Falcom Samba 75 USB modem that I'm using on a system running
netbsd-3.0_branch. I'm using it to connect to the internet with GPRS and
I've got a script which loops to reconnect if the connection fails.

My problem is that at some point after a connection failure when pppd is
restarted in the script to connect again I get pppd compaining about an
"inappropriate ioctl for device".

It looks like the modem has locked up and only unplugging it, replugging it
gets it working again. Now I know that the question about power cycling a
USB powered device has been asked before some time back and there seemed to
be no way of doing it from user space.

Does anyone know if its at all possible now?

Thanks,
 Brad