Subject: Re: Dell Support and NetBSD?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/29/2006 19:23:30
On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 10:38:56AM -0400, Michael Gorsuch wrote:
>Greetings all.  Is anyone here running production NetBSD systems on Dell
>hardware?  If so, what have your experiences been with the support staff
>when hardware fails?

the only time I called dell for a box with unix on it, they where
very helpful directing me to 3rd party websites for tools to
update the bios without installing windows.

the install media that comes with the machines generally has
bootable hardware diagnostic software. so I think you could verify
failure for replacement pretty directly with that.

I don't know how much the extra support costs but the gold (I
think it's called) support people speak english well and where
fast and smart compared to regular dell support which hasn't been
all bad -- I like the webchat support the best, you don't need to
call them anymore.

All that said. I don't like dell hardware, but I can see it's a
good choice in some places.

// George