Subject: Re: Error No NetBSD partition
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/29/2006 07:26:20
On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 04:37:52PM -0000, David Lord wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2006, at 20:49, Henry Nelson wrote:
> You might find it easier to use  NetBSD install cd or floppies to
> fdisk and partition the new disk with just single new disk as wd0 so
> you don't risk the existing data. You can crash out before actually

Until I had a disk give out on me suddenly this summer with extremely
important data on it, that is the way I always did it.  It was just a
stroke of luck that the new disk was prepared in time.  I really need
a script that will let me prepare a new disk in a matter of minutes
--  not hours or days that the install always ends up as (my fault,
not the install disk).

> If with your -s option you start at offset 63 you need to subtract 63
> from the total sectors or possibly use '$' in place of size in order
> to autosize to end of disk.

Yes, I think '$' is the way to go.  It seems that the last sector on
some disks isn't accessable, so it sometimes has to be [(total sectors)
-63 -1].

Thanks again.

--
henry nelson