Subject: Re: Error No NetBSD partition
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: David Lord <david@lordynet.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/28/2006 16:37:52
On 28 Nov 2006, at 20:49, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > I've just looked back through the thread and see you mention disk has
> > data on it and fdisk indicated it to have a dos partition.
> > Did you try to mount the dos partition to see if any data was there?
>
> It says DOS partition, but it sure acts and feels like NetBSD.  Anyway,
> all of the data has been backed up on another disk and compared (diff).
> No need to worry about the data (except that all the partitions on the
> backup disk (wd0) are like 96-98% capacity.  When I have more time I will
> zero out the whole disk (the new one, wd1) and start over.

You might find it easier to use  NetBSD install cd or floppies to
fdisk and partition the new disk with just single new disk as wd0 so
you don't risk the existing data. You can crash out before actually
installing or go through install to check you have a working
destination system. Then fit old disk back as wd0 and new as wd1 and
newfs then restore to destination partitions on wd1.

> > I also noted that your fdisk -s option doesn't correspond to the
> > 12594897 of the dos partition. You didn't give the full fdisk output
>
> Right, that was another person's example.  For the particular disk of this
> thread, I _thought_ the -s option should have been: "-s 169/63/12596850",
> for the disk which probed as (`dmesg | grep wd1`):
> wd1 at atabus0 drive 1: <ST36421A>
> wd1: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA addressing
> wd1: 6150 MB, 13330 cyl, 15 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 12596850 sectors
>
> This information agrees with the manufacturer's specification.
>
> Sorry about not posting all of the fdisk output:  For the record, it is:
> % fdisk wd1
> Disk: /dev/rwd1d
> NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
> cylinders: 13330, heads: 15, sectors/track: 63 (945 sectors/cylinder)
> total sectors: 12596850

If with your -s option you start at offset 63 you need to subtract 63
from the total sectors or possibly use '$' in place of size in order
to autosize to end of disk.

David