Subject: Re: BSD laptop
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Widerkrantz <mc@hack.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/23/2006 16:35:46
David Chapman <dchapman@canwest.victoria.bc.ca> writes:

> Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with Lenovo or ThinkPad
> laptops?

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X60s running FreeBSD 6.1. See:

  http://hack.org/mc/freebsd-x60.html

Very short version:

  Usable after PXE boot and installation: both cores are found, the
  internal NIC usable but with strange latency, running X with VESA
  fb. powerd works, but I don't get much battery life (4 cell slim
  version), about 1.5 hour.

  Doesn't work out of the box, but fixable with patches: Sound,
  accelerated graphics.

  Doesn't work at all or barely: suspend/resume, WLAN, SD reader,
  fingerprint reader.

I tried installing NetBSD 3.0 as well, but it couldn't find any disks
to install to.