Subject: Re: core file name: .core -> core.
To: None <darcy@NetBSD.org>
From: Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov@tut.by>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/19/2006 01:48:59
 >> > sysctl -w kern.defcorename=core.%n
 >> >
 >> > It's strange that it is not a default.
 >>
 >> Now *that* is a strange thing to say.  I'm curious there:  what could
 >> possibly be a reason for "core.%n" to make more sense than "%n.core"?

> That was my thought too.  In fact, there is a very good reason to have
> the current default.  Conventionally, file names have been made up of
> the form <differentia>.<genus> IOW the part before the dot is the
> description of the specific contents of this file and the part after
> describes the type of file.

Just for me, an easy way to complete the core file name in interactive
shell is more important.  Of course I know well about filename
extentions and content types.

P.S. '\.core$|^core$' egrep pattern is hardcoded in /etc/daily.
IMHO it is better to make it more flexible.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.