Subject: Re: core file name: .core -> core.
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/18/2006 09:48:13
On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:40:31 +0100
Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net> wrote:
> > sysctl -w kern.defcorename=core.%n
> >
> > It's strange that it is not a default.
>
> Now *that* is a strange thing to say.  I'm curious there:  what could
> possibly be a reason for "core.%n" to make more sense than "%n.core"?

That was my thought too.  In fact, there is a very good reason to have
the current default.  Conventionally, file names have been made up of
the form <differentia>.<genus> IOW the part before the dot is the
description of the specific contents of this file and the part after
describes the type of file.  Some OS's and programs even require this
to find file types or determine what operation to perform on files.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/