Subject: Re: boost
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, Peter.Bex@xs4all.nl>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/17/2006 21:36:07
--------------enig6C35CA3B58B1961704ED22B3

Peter Bex wrote:
>>    The boost headers are located in /usr/pkg/include/boost, and the
>> sample application expects the headers boost/blah... In OS/2 I would
>> simply have made sure that "/usr/pkg/include" was in the "INCLUDE"
>> environment variable, but I don't know what I need to do in NetBSD to
>> make it work. Shouldn't there be an analogous variable to the "INCLUDE=
"
>> in NetBSD (read: gcc, I guess), and shouldn't it be pointing to
>> /usr/pkg/include/ ?
>=20
> Many programs are written using stupid assumptions in their build proce=
ss.
> With pkgsrc many of these assumptions are invalid, so you might need
> to hack up the build scripts a bit.

   Oh, ok. I thought it would be a question of fixing some gcc
configuration in my system -- but I should rather be looking at it from
the other side then; that the build system needs to take NetBSD into
account? Hmm... More work. :-)

   Anyway, I hard coded the Makefile for NetBSD / pkgsrc (just to try
it), and found that there's something fishy going on with boost on my
NetBSD/amd64 3.0 system.

   When I build the sample application on an NetBSD/i386 3.0 system, it
compiles and runs fine (though compiling takes quite a while, due to
boost). But on my NetBSD/amd64 system, g++ hangs. It consumes 100% CPU,
but just sits there -- apparently doing nothing but stealing time.

   I would like for someone else to try and see is they get similar
results. Is it ok if I attach some code to the mailing lists? (It's not
much; around 2KB). What list would be appropriate for investigating this
problem further?

> For include paths, you'll need to use the -I flag for the compiler.  Yo=
> might find http://wiki.netbsd.se/index.php/Basic_Unix_programming an
> interesting read.

   Yes, thanks. I'm kind of used to OS/2 where you can make certain
assumptions about the environment. I guess I need to forget about these
assumptions.

--=20
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson