Subject: Re: Which pkgsrc for NetBSD-3.1
To: None <netbsd001@freeode.co.uk>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/16/2006 13:52:40
> On Thursday 16 November 2006 10:45, John Murphy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm a NetBSD newbie although I've used FreeBSD before.
> >
> > I've successfully installed v3.1 and now I want to install kde.
> > I couldn't find any binary packages (there's no 3.1 directory
> > at ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/) so which would be the
> > best pkgsrc to install, current or stable? The pkgsrc web page
> > doesn't seem to say much about the differences.
>
> I believe that the 3.0 packages will work

Yes.

As for current versus stable:

current is bleeding edge pkgsrc with newly updated packages and improved
infrastructure. Note that pkgsrc developers generally only commit stable
official versions of packages (so it doesn't necessarily provide "bleeding
edge" beta or developement software).

stable is created quarterly. Each quarter the current pkgsrc stops new
development and focuses on bug fixes for a couple weeks to become the
"stable" quarterly branch. Then it is only updated for security fixes and
crucial bug fixes. Rarely does it include other updates.

stable should always be reliable for building packages while current may
have newer versions that you may need.

Have fun!