Subject: NetBSD on laptops?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Basket Case <jeff.rollin@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/16/2006 16:51:53
Hi NetBSD people

I'm looking to buy a new laptop and simultaneously learning to run
NetBSD on it. I've some experience with Linux, so I'm not a total
n00b, but I haven't really done much "in-depth" with any BSD.

I would like to know what laptop vendors/models people recommend for
installing NBSD on, and what gaps (if any) exist in hardware support.
To get things started I should mention that I was looking at buying
one of either IBM/Lenovo, Fujitsu, or the British makes Mesh or Acorn
- but I'm not opposed to other suggestions. The system should have, at
minimum:

15.4" WXGA widescreen LCD
60GB HD
AMD64 CPU

At minimum I would like a system where suspend "works" in some fashion
and where I can get online with wireless networking. I have a PC Card
wireless modem which is known to work in Linux and I suspect it will
work in NBSD, so if a given laptop's inbuilt wifi doesn't work it's
not a disaster as long as the pc card slot is supported.

Also, are there any specific issues regarding running NBSD on laptops?

TIA

Jeff

--
Messages without a meaningful subject line will most likely be ignored

> Why haven't I received a reply to my
> message?

Because it's like living your life in reverse.

> Why shouldn't I top post?

What we do in life, echoes in eternity