Subject: Re: BSD laptop
To: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@gmail.com>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/15/2006 09:52:07

I am currently using HP nx6310; after the initial problem with npx
freezing when MULTIPROCESSOR is on, I an reasonably happy with it. The
wireless (wpi) works (but not with wpa_supplicant for me), the
Ethernet (bce) as well (I just have to disconnect the power supply for
a moment when rebooting from XP). The only minor gripe is that I could
not get the audio (azalia) work through the speakers, but it works
fine through the headphones; also the SATA controller has to be set to
compatibility mode for NetBSD, which is weird, as the native mode is
supported by both OpenBSD-current and FreeBSD-current. I haven't yet
tried seriously suspend/resume. The graphics - Intel 945 - works in
VESA mode under XFree86, but I installed Xorg 6.9 from pkgsrc and this
is now served by the I810 driver, so it's OK. Otherwise it looks quite
well built; one may not like the 15" screen with 1024x768 native
resolution. though (or, maybe, like - depends on one's eyes...).

As far as OpenBSD-current is concerned, I just booted the installation
CD and collected the dmesg (posted earlier in current-users@), but it
looked OK at this stage.

I tried at one stage FreeBSD6.2 Beta1, but did not get the wireless
and the azalia working straight from the CD (I found an OSS audio
driver, but did not want to deal with bits from outside of it; as I
have another ath wireless card, which worked, I did not bother to look
at the wpi one).

Chavdar