Subject: Re: BSD laptop
To: Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/15/2006 15:46:10
"Jeff Rollin" <jeff.rollin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi BSD people
>
> First of all, apologies for cross-posting but I'm looking to buy a new
> laptop and simultaneously learning to run a flavour of BSD on it. I've
> some experience with Linux, so I'm not a total n00b, but I haven't really
> done much "in-depth" with any BSD.
>
> I would like to know what laptop vendors/models people recommend for
> installing BSD on, and what gaps (if any) exist in hardware support. To
> get things started I should mention that I was looking at buying one of
> either IBM/Lenovo, Fujitsu, or the British makes Mesh or Acorn - but I'm
> not opposed to other suggestions. The system should have, at minimum:

Don't get a Dell Inspiron 9400 as it lacks features such as audio (azalia)
microphone/line input, headphone sensing etc - see PR kern/34071, no driver
for X1300 graphics adapter (running vesa driver at the moment, hence no
hardware accelleration), ubt0 doesn't operate see PR kern/34070, wpi0 flakey
bevaiour e.g. short range and loosing interface similar to that reported by
PR kern/32133. I also blame the wpi for causing crashes of the operating
system as it only happens when wpi is active mostly at night, my guess is
being triggered under high CPU load whilst running the daily scripts during
the night.

Besides this, Dell Laptop are quite prone to scratching, wear and tear. The
quality of the enclosure is all but desirable. I certainly will be changing
brands next time.

As such, I'm stuck with it for now... :(

cheerio Berndt