Subject: Re: dhcpd not assigning netmask correctly?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/08/2006 19:12:26
On 2006/11/08 01:06, James K. Lowden wrote:
> The first evidence of change isn't directly the subject but bears mention
> in case it's related: the Mac stopped learning its DNS domain via dhcp on
> the *wired* interface.  Suddenly it was 'Monarch.local'.  So I assigned
> the wired address manually, as a workaround.

ISTR that this happens when the Mac does a reverse lookup on itself at boot
and finds a name that differs from what you have configured (or no name).  You
may be able to straighten this out by using ddns, but I've never tried it.
OTOH (and this is what I'm doing for all machines on my home network), you can
use 'host' statements with 'fixed-address' in dhcpd.conf.  Just give the dns
name in the fixed-address declaration.

Mark