Subject: Re: routing between internal networks on a firewall
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Sigmund Skjelnes <skjelnes@robin.no>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/06/2006 18:00:33
I'm working on a very similar project, altough I'd thinking of it as
setting up an router, but that's an definition issue, and man, that's
philosophy...

To ping a host B from host A, where A and B is on it's own network
connected by an router, A need a route to B, and B need a route to A.
Let's say A is 192.168.1.2, B is 192.168.2.2 and the router have
192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1, the following have to be done in addition
to the default routes ( netbsd syntax ):
on A:
route add -net 192.168.2.0/24 192.168.1.1

on B:
route add -net 192.168.1.0/24 192.168.2.1

Have a look on the ipf setup, maybe it's blocking the ping packages. I'd
assume you are NOT using ipnat on the firewall.

I'd got mine networks to work together ( finally ), but one of them
could not reach the outside world. The cause is that there is a missing
static route in the internet router, and I do not have the password for
it, the router belongs to the isp.

Hope it helps,
Sigmund