Subject: Re: replace boot blocks on Soekris 4801
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/04/2006 21:24:17
On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 02:52:00PM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:

> I copied /boot and /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1 from my 2.0 box, and ran
> installboot(8):

Why the versions from a 2.0 box?

> > Also set the baud rate to zero, the bios-set baud rate is read from
> > the UART divider registers and passed into the kernel.  All the
> > kernel code (and tty setup scripts) that kept on changing the baud
> > rate have been removed from the console code.
>
> The installboot manpage still indicates that '-o speed' applies to i386.
> Should that be changed?  Or should it indicate that it's needed only to
> override the BIOS setting?

It is only the i386 (and amd64) boot files that have a parameter block
that installboot can write this info into.  I think (almost) all the
other platforms require the kernel (and/or root filesystem) know the
correct console baud rate.

The 'speed=0' is something I added when playing with a 4801.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk