Subject: Re: way to restore 'ls' formatting after pipe
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/04/2006 18:00:49
On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 10:14:37PM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:
> The simplest idea would be to assign a locale to the whole filesystem,
> meaning all filenames would be encoded the same way.  Then, eventually, ls
> and friends could be taught to discover the encoding and handle it
[...]
> wonder if other people are thinking along the same lines.

I don't know about "thinking" along the same lines, but "wishing", yes.

However, I'm not sure it would be easy to assure that all filenames get
encoded the same way on a particular filesystem.  Those sjis filenames
get there inadvertantly in the first place, despite my locale being
euc-jp, when I recursively ftp directories from a Windows machine (blush).

The handling part could be difficult, too.  Although I used 'iconv' in
my example because it is fairly widely known, in real life I use 'nkf'
because 'iconv' chokes on half-width katakana.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba(dot)ne(dot)jp/(tilde)home/