Subject: Re: replace boot blocks on Soekris 4801
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/02/2006 20:15:02
On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 11:05:35PM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Sorry, that could have been clearer.  I get the 5-second countdown.  I get
> the banner from boot(8) -- b3@something dated 2006 -- then the "little
> spinning thing", a row of numbers ending in 0x ... something.  The next
> thing I'd expect would be the kernel banner, but instead I get nothing.
> No error message, just dead air.

Ok, so you get all the output from the boot code, but none from the kernel.

That probably means that the kernel is trying to use the 'bios console'
(ie what would normally be the VGA screen) instead of the serial port.
That just doesn't (maybe can't) work on a Soekris box.

You need to set the bootcode to use the serial port (the BIOS redirection
works for the boot code - which is why you'll be seeing that output.

Also set the baud rate to zero, the bios-set baud rate is read from
the UART divider registers and passed into the kernel.  All the
kernel code (and tty setup scripts) that kept on changing the baud
rate have been removed from the console code.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk