Subject: Re: rsync alternative?
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/02/2006 09:23:09
On 2-Nov-06, at 8:56 AM, Andy Ruhl wrote:
>> The world needs a better rsync. I concur.
>
> I'm not sure if this is the time or place, but is the statement really
> "the world needs a better rsync" or "BSD people need to make their own
> rsync"?

My statement does not refer only to the problem of filesystem
attributes.  I have been using rsync in production for years and in
various instances, been having problems with rsync processes going
off the rails midway through a transfer (from one disk to another on
the same host) and going zombie... I've been trying to debug the
problem for years but sadly, I can't reproduce it and it's persisted
across many releases of rsync.  Last I looked (a couple years ago),
there was an open bug on the problem... It still happens to me and I
keep dutifully upgrading rsync hoping it will go away.

It seems to most happen on filesystems with lots of tiny files.

Anyway, rsync has the feature set I want, but not the reliability I
look for, and I lack the time to fix the problem.