Subject: rsync alternative?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/01/2006 19:50:10
I've been using rsync a while, and recently I've needed it to replace
some files. I never noticed that it does not preserve BSD file flags.

I use flags, so I need to preserve them.

I'm using rsync to backup a 300 gig filesystem that's about 90% used
and has about 75000 files. It's backing up to another locally attached
disk which is 500 gigs. I use dump to send a subset of the data that I
consider most important off the machine and somewhere else.

I suppose I could write a script as part of the rsync process that
sets flags on the other filesystem to ensure they stay there, but that
seems kind of clumsy.

What is a good alternative that reasonably preserves rsync's efficiency?

I did notice that there is a project on the NetBSD projects page for a
BSD licensed version of rsync. Would be nice if it could preserve
flags...

Thanks.

Andy