Subject: RE: Burning a live CD
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Michael D. Spence <spence@panix.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/29/2006 10:20:56

Thanks to all who replied.  Just to reassure everyone, after Roxio
finishes, I can view the files in the NetBSD file structure, such
as readme.txt, .chshrc, directories /bin, /boot, /dev and so forth.

I have used the BIOS setup on three different computers to completely
disable booting from any device other than the CD-ROM.

I have used burners on two different PCs, using Roxio on one and Sonic
on the other.

I have interrupted the boot process to go to the boot menu or the
setup menu (depending on the PC) and disabled all boot devices except
for the appropriate IDE CD drive.

In every case, I can see the CD light blink, but then I get a message
from the BIOS that indicates there's nothing on the disk (each computer
has a different message because they all have a different BIOS).

ISTM that the boot blocks aren't getting written.  Should this be
expected when an ISO image is copied onto a CD-ROM?  If not, how do
I get this to happen?

Michael D. Spence
Mockingbird Data Systems, Inc.