Subject: Re: Burning a live CD
To: Michael D. Spence <spence@panix.com>
From: Claus Andersen <clan@wheel.dk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/29/2006 08:47:44
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006, Michael D. Spence wrote:

> I've downloaded a NetBSD 3 live CD iso and used a Windows Roxio utility
> to burn it.  The burn was successful in that I can see the file structure
> just fine, but the CD isn't bootable.

By file structure I assume that you can see several files and not just one
file named "<something>.iso". If you only see the .iso file you have done
it the wrong way (You need to select "Burn from Disc Image File" in
Roxio).

> The only burner I have is on a Windows machine.  What's the procedure for
> copying an iso to a CD using Windows so that it's bootable?

Roxio works fine for this purpose. There is a chance that your disc might
be defective so you should have Roxio verify it after burning (that is an
selectable option).

So the "procedure" would be:
1) Ensure that you are burning an image and not just the file.
2) Verify all data is written correctly.
3) Check the BIOS setting on the computer you try to boot to make sure it
boots from CD - if possible test with another CD you know works.

--
Kind Regards,
Claus Andersen