Subject: Re: Core2 Duo 1.8 NetBSD 4BETA SLOWER than Celeron M 1.3 NetBSD3 -
To: None <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/18/2006 17:57:44
Lasse Hiller=F8e Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk> wrote:
> Any suggestions as to what I should do with this machine (well, =

> obviously excluding suggestions to donate it, trash it etc) would be =

> most welcome! And if I have accidentally stumbled upon some rare -  =

> maybe even subtle - bug, that only shows up under special circumstanc=
es =

> and loads, I sure would like to help get this fixed. I would file a P=
R - =

> if I wasn't so unsure as to what to write in it! If someone could =

> suggest some tests to run, I would be delighted to do so!

 I would start by watching the output of iostat and vmstat while the Co=
re2
Duo machine is doing the work.

something like:

iostat -x 10

or

iostat wd0 wd1 10

keep in mind that the first line of output in both iostat and vmstat is=
summary since the performance counters were cleared, typically the last=

reboot. The subsequent lines show real-time averages.

  See the man pages for explanations of the columns headings.

 If iostat or vmstat reports idle CPU while your job is running, then
often the bottleneck is I/O.

 -johan