Subject: Bad Vcc request in Acer Aspire 3610 series Laptop
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Zmudzinski <brchuck@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/16/2006 10:02:40
Hello,

No matter what I try, I can't get NetBSD to activate the cardbus slot of my
Acer Aspire 3610 series laptop (Acer Aspire 3618AWLCi).

Relevant output of dmesg using NetBSD 3.0 GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel:

cbb0 at pci1 dev 9 function 0: ENE Technology CB1410 CardBus Controller
(rev. 0x01)
cbb0: bad Vcc request. sock_ctrl 0xffffff88, sock_status 0xffffffff
cbb0: disabling socket
new status 0xffffffff
cbb0: interrupting at irq 10
cardslot0 at cbb0 slot 0 flags 0
cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 2 device 0
pcmcia0 at cardslot0

No card is recognized in the Acer Aspire 3618AWLCi laptop, but with the same
kernel my wireless card is recognized as ath0 in my old Toshiba laptop when
I set the BIOS options for the Carbus slot appropriately, but the Acer does
not provide any BIOS setup options for the Cardbus slot to adjust.

I also tried the NetBSD-current GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel (as of Sep 15, 2006)
and got the same result. After reading about the 'bad Vcc request' message
in the mailing list archives, I tried the CARDBUS kernel and playng with a
few of the kernel config options, such as RBUS_MIN_START and the PCIBIOS
options, but no matter what I tried, I could never get the cardbus slot
activated.

What else could I try?

Thanks,

Chuck Zmudzinski