Subject: Re: USB Card reader on NetBSD/amd64 3.0
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Anne Bennett <anne@porcupine.montreal.qc.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/18/2006 09:38:49
Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com> writes:

> With my box I got an USB card reader which supports a bunch of
> different card types (SD, CF, etc).

I have the same.

> When I insert an SD card into the
> card reader, the reader's light goes on, but there's no reaction from
> NetBSD.

Ditto, but I was not expecting a "reaction from NetBSD", so I did not
see this as a problem.

> So I tried to boot an Ubuntu LiveCD, just to try to rule out the
> possibility that the reader/card is broken. However, when I insert the
> card into the reader while running Ubuntu, the light goes on, and a
> message appears on the console that the card has been mounted, and sure
> enough, it has.

I just mount and unmount mine manually as needed.  Here's an extract
from my fstab file:

  # --- Removable devices
  /dev/cd0a       /disks/REM/dvd-writer   cd9660  ro,noauto       0 0
  /dev/cd1a       /disks/REM/dvd          cd9660  ro,noauto       0 0
  /dev/sd0e       /disks/REM/sd-mmc       msdos   ro,noauto       0 0
  /dev/sd1e       /disks/REM/cflash       msdos   ro,noauto       0 0
  /dev/sd2e       /disks/REM/smedia       msdos   ro,noauto       0 0
  /dev/sd3e       /disks/REM/mstick       msdos   ro,noauto       0 0

Then I can just issue "mount /disks/REM/sd-mmc" and
"umount /disks/REM/sd-mmc", for example.

Hope this helps.

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, as a private citizen:  anne@porcupine.montreal.qc.ca