Subject: Re: Bash Configuration Question
To: NetBSD-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: mowestusa <mowestusa@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/16/2006 07:33:18
First I would like to thank all of you for the
excellent answers. When I get home I will have to try
your suggestions. What an excellent community, which I
really appreciate as a noob!

This response from Michael raised another question.

--- Michael Bubb <michael.bubb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> I am by no means an expert on this but I had to
> figure out something
> similar a short while back...
>
> The setenv command is for csh/tcsh. Use 'export'
> after assigning the variable.
>
>  To set an env variable in bash do something like
> this
>
> $ PKG_PATH="/usr/pkgsrc/"
> $ export PKG_PATH
>
> and I believe it should work.
>
> If bash is your login shell you can put the
> assigment and export
> statements into a .profile file.
>
> all the best
>
> Michael

I have read in the NetBSD Guide about installing the
pkgscr tree. It seems as if Michael is suggesting
setting my PKG_PATH to that downloaded tree instead of
the ftp site like the wiki suggested. So I wondered:

1. Is this a better method for installing programs in
NetBSD?

2. How does one download and install the pkgscr tree
after a base install? (I didn't find clear
instructions in the guide or the pkgscr guide on this
especially if I have simply a CLI.) It seems like
there isn't wget installed or even lynx.

3. I'm primarily intested in simply installing binary
packages, but when I use pkg_add with the ftp site as
the PKG_PATH resolve dependancies automatically or
does that only happen when you compile from the pkgscr
tree?

4. If I point the PKG_PATH to the pkgscr tree will it
work to download and install the binaries?

Sorry for all the questions by I'm trying to wrap my
head around the pkgscr and all of its programs. I have
read the pkgscr guide (the first part for those who
simply want to use the program installer, because at
this point I don't want to learn how to maintain and
submit my own packages).

Steve
mowestusa@yahoo.com