Subject: Re: strange problem
To: Joseph A. Dacuma <jadacuma@ched.gov.ph>
From: DataZap <az@datazap.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/06/2006 11:55:10
Hi,

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Joseph A. Dacuma wrote:
> Warm greetings from Manila, Philippines!
>

> Your system should be running ok based on what you have stated above. What
> error messages you get? Any other clues?
>
> What type of machine are you running? Specs? Could it be possible that the
> values you have set are too high for the system to handle?

The server has 128 megs of ram, 68060 processor, and 2 - 250 gig drives. I
have thought about this, but I would think that the kernel would not boot
if the values were set too high.

> As for thttpd, have you tried running lighttpd? It performs better than
> thttpd IMHO. I have ran apache, thttpd and lighttpd and performed tests on
> it. Been using Lighttpd on our site for several months now and didnt have
> any problems from heavy usage. Both Apache and Thttpd didnt pose any
> problems but in my opinion lighttpd performed better. I just dont know if
> you have other configs on your existing system that might not run on
> lighttpd but i think its worth considering.

I have a newer server running NetBSD 2.1 and I have lighttpd install on
it. Putting lighttpd seems to have fixed the crashing problem on the newer
server, but on the old box with 1.5.4 I can't get lighttpd to work.  If I
use the packaging system it will not build, I only get errors. I built it
without the packaging system, but it core dumps immediately.  I then
install the bootstrap, lighttpd then will build but not pcre. So, I
removed it as a dependent and then lighttpd complains that pcre is
missing. So, I am really not sure what I need to do to make lighttpd work
on this server.

I tried the other night switching to apache and it had a load avg. of 55
and it was 3 am. I can't image what it would be like during the day.

Thanks,
Al