Subject: cdparanoia: Could not open ... /dev/rcd0d: Permission denied
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov@tut.by>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/04/2006 22:39:05
When I'm trying to grab sound track from my CD like this
cdparanoia -v -g /dev/rcd0d 1 track-01.wav
(this way is documented in NetBSD guide)
I have the following error.

0 ~>cdparanoia -v -g /dev/rcd0d 1 track-01.wav
cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)
(C) 2001 Monty <monty@xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

 Testing /dev/rcd0d for SCSI interface
   generic device: /dev/rcd0d
   ioctl device: /dev/rcd0d
      Could not open generic SCSI device /dev/rcd0d: Permission denied

1 ~>

I'm a member of 'operator' group
but this doesn't help.
Should cdparanoia be installed using suid bit enabled.
If yes, should I send-pr about this or somebody from this mailing list
can fix this?

P.S.
Why /dev/[r]cd* and /dev/[r]wd* devices have the same group ownership
'operator' in NetBSD?  Isn't better to switch /dev/cd* group to
from 'operator' to 'cdrom' group or something similar?

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.