Subject: Re: Question on .profile
To: Huub <huubvanniekerk@gmail.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/23/2006 16:03:56
> ===> Installing for libxml2-2.6.24nb1
> ===> libxml2-2.6.23nb1 is already installed - perhaps an older version?
> *** If so, you may use either of:
> ***  - "pkg_delete libxml2-2.6.23nb1" and "/usr/bin/make reinstall" to upgrade
> properly
> ***  - "/usr/bin/make update" to rebuild the package and all of its
> dependencies
> ***  - "/
>
> When this happens I usually do pkg_delete and start over. Is this indeed
> the right way?

That works. But usually requires that the packages requiring libxml2 to be
uninstalled first (and that could be many).

I don't know if there is a "right" way.

I also keep binary packages made so I can quickly reinstall packages as
needed and I use "make bin-install" to use them. (Sorry this is briefly
explained, I don't have much time now.)

On many packages, I often just do "make replace". But this can cause many
problems if you don't know what other packages need. It is suggested by
many that "make replace" should not be used.

You can also use "make update" in libxml2 and it will attempt to deinstall
all the packages and reinstall them. But sometimes it forgets :)

You can also use various pkgsrc tools to help update your packages.

We need a webpage that highlights these tools and techniques with a few
examples. Our mailing list archives have many examples but it may take
some time to dig them all out :(

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo '9,J8HD,fDGG8B@?:536FC5=8@I;C5?@H5B0D@5GBIELD54DL>@8L?:5GDEJ8LDG1' |\
sed ss,s50EBsg | tr 0-M 'p.wBt SgiIlxmLhan:o,erDsduv/cyP'