Subject: Re: "DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted."
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/2006 11:22:29
--=-=-=

restore seems to close its input when it has read everything that it
thinks it needs.  I would guess that it has read the directory at the
front of the "tape", and then all the files that are on the tape, and
didn't read the padding at the end.  dump(8) doesn't say, but the
sources indicate that 10 1k records is the default tape block size.

Given that dump said the dump completed, I would instrument trewind()
in src/sbin/dump/tape.c, especially around the close() towards the
end of the procedure.  My guess is that close might trigger the
SIGPIPE.

Alternatively, you could try -b 1 to dump to cause it not to pad data
to 10k "tape blocks".

=2D-=20
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>

--=-=-=