Subject: Re: can't get mail through to list?
To: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/17/2006 10:29:39
> Hi,
> i have some mail posts that get rejected from netbsd majordomo.
> Keep getting:
>
> "Greylisting in action, please try later"
>
> Does it think i'm spam?
> What can I do, it's a real pain.
> I can't communicate about netbsd!
> (ps hope this gets through)
>
> thanks,
> Paul.

hi paul,

yes, it's a spam defense method, but there are different opinions about
that; my company stopped using greylisting as it increases the load on
the senders MTA.

however, usually there is a 'timeframe' mentioned in the maillog (at
which you had a look, as you wrote earlier).

you can speed up the process of becoming a 'legal' MTA; e.g., when you
sent an email at 10:00pm and the greylister said 'try again in 7
minutes, then re-queue your email at 10:08pm and it will go through
immediately as every email you send from now on will -- as you are
'whitelisted' for you MTA's IP address from now on.

however, if you have a non-static IP address on your MTA, this problem
will occur after every disconnect/new assigned IP address.

HTH,

timo

ps: i'd recommend to pull every stick out of your SS5, clean the sockets
with compressed air (don't touch them), and reseat the memory sticks.
maybe corrosion, dust or something causes trouble.