Subject: Re: Problem with ftp to ftp.NetBSD.org
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Lord <david@lordynet.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/12/2006 20:37:12
On 12 Jun 2006, at 19:51, David Lord wrote:

> On 12 Jun 2006, at 17:24, David Lord wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm having problems with ftp from ftp.NetBSD.org in that ftp session
> > fails to close and require CTRL+C to continue.
> >
> > ftp from a local uk ftp site is ok:
> >    $  ftp.xxxxx.xx.uk:/xxx/xxxxx/xxxxxxx
> >    229 Entering Extended Passive Mode
> >    226 Transfer complete
> >    221 Goodbye
> >    $
> >
> > From ftp.NetBSD.org
> >    $   ftp ftp.NetBSD.org:/pub/NetBSD/misc/mouse/README
> >    229 Entering Extended Passive Mode
> >    226 Transfer complete
> >    221-
> >    ^C
> >    421 Service not available, user interrupt, Connection closed.
> >
> >    $
> >
> > I've also tried from Win98 and FreeBSD with same problem so it
> > appears not to be specific to OS or ftp client but to
> > ftp.NetBSD.org.
> >
> > This makes it difficult to install via pkg_add or pkgsrc. On my
> > faster pc (p4-2000) there is eventually continuation after many
> > minutes at the '221-' but I've left slower pc (k6-400) for over 30
> > mins before hitting CTRL+C.
> >
> > I assume best might be to remove ftp.NetBSD.org from PKG_PATH and
> > try to locate a mirror that is up to date.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what the problem is?
>
> Now have a bit more on this and having a macro defined in .netrc to
> set idle to 30 seconds seems to cause connection to be dropped after
> that timeout for ftp from commandline but not for pkg_add. I can't
> find any method to set this for make or pkg_add.
>
> This is on i386 NetBSD 3.0.
>
> Problem seems to be lack of a message after the '221-'.

I tried again via dialup from Windows and ftp worked ok with
statistics message displayed after '221-'.

That pointed to a problem possibly with ipnat ftp proxy so I tried
with NAT mapping from outgoing interface turned off and on that pc
ftp is now working ok. The problem still persists with ftp from the
public ips so I will have to check if it's a known problem or fixed
in latest ipf/ipnat.

Sorry for wasting your times :-(

David