Subject: Re: Problem with ftp to ftp.NetBSD.org
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Lord <david@lordynet.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/12/2006 19:51:08

On 12 Jun 2006, at 17:24, David Lord wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm having problems with ftp from ftp.NetBSD.org in that ftp session
> fails to close and require CTRL+C to continue.
>
> ftp from a local uk ftp site is ok:
>    $  ftp.xxxxx.xx.uk:/xxx/xxxxx/xxxxxxx
>    229 Entering Extended Passive Mode
>    226 Transfer complete
>    221 Goodbye
>    $
>
> From ftp.NetBSD.org
>    $   ftp ftp.NetBSD.org:/pub/NetBSD/misc/mouse/README
>    229 Entering Extended Passive Mode
>    226 Transfer complete
>    221-
>    ^C
>    421 Service not available, user interrupt, Connection closed.
>
>    $
>
> I've also tried from Win98 and FreeBSD with same problem so it
> appears not to be specific to OS or ftp client but to ftp.NetBSD.org.
>
> This makes it difficult to install via pkg_add or pkgsrc. On my
> faster pc (p4-2000) there is eventually continuation after many
> minutes at the '221-' but I've left slower pc (k6-400) for over 30
> mins before hitting CTRL+C.
>
> I assume best might be to remove ftp.NetBSD.org from PKG_PATH and try
> to locate a mirror that is up to date.
>
> Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Now have a bit more on this and having a macro defined in .netrc to
set idle to 30 seconds seems to cause connection to be dropped after
that timeout for ftp from commandline but not for pkg_add. I can't
find any method to set this for make or pkg_add.

This is on i386 NetBSD 3.0.

Problem seems to be lack of a message after the '221-'.

David