Subject: Some NetBSD problems/questions
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Eye of the Beholder <eye.of.the.8eholder@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/09/2006 12:59:48
Hello.

I have some questions regarding building both the base system and
pkgsrc packages.

My /etc/mk.conf contains among other options the following:

.ifdef BSD_PKG_MK
#pkgsrc
X11_TYPE=xorg
X11BASE=/usr/X11R6
X11ROOT=/usr/X11R6
USE_XPKGWEDGE=no
<other stuff>
.else
#base system
BSDOBJDIR=/usr/obj
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj
DESTDIR=/usr/obj/destdir
RELEASEDIR=/usr/obj/release
TOOLDIR=/usr/obj/tools
BUILD=yes
MKNLS=yes
MKOBJDIRS=yes
MKKERBEROS=no
MKUPDATE=yes
MKPOSTFIX=no
MKYP=no
MKIPFILTER=no
USETOOLS=yes
HAVE_GCC=4
.endif

My questions are the following:

1) MKIPFILTER=no has the result of the build to stop in the install
phase with the message that "/etc/rc.d/ipnat,ipfilter,ipmon exist in
the destdir but not in the flist"

I got the build to continue by temporarily commenting the names in
/usr/src/etc/rc.d/Makefile and then manually copying the files
in /etc/rc.d (because without them rcorder mentions that no file
provides the facilities)

So, i got the build to complete but i guess there should be a better
fix for it.

The same thing happened with MKPOSTFIX=no and /etc/mail/aliases but
it was fixed some days ago.

2) As a result of the options "MKKERBEROS=no,MKYP=no" the build
continues fine and neither kerberos nor nis files are compiled.
But when i install the newly compiled base system, postinstall
doesn't see the old files as obsolete and it doesn't delete them.

I have manually deleted them and also remove the pam_krb from the pam
config files, but i want to ask if this is the normal way.
Shouldn't postinstall find them and delete them ?

3) When i try to build a pkgsrc package i sometimes get the
messages that USE_INET6=YES is deprecated and that i should use
the option inet6. I don't have USE_INET6 in my mk.conf so i guess
it is mentioned in some bsd.*.mk file, right ?
Is it a leftover from older days or it should be mentioned ?

4) I try to build the xorg client/server utilities. I want to have the
files in /usr/X11R6 and not /usr/pkg/xorg. At first my mk.conf had only
X11_TYPE=xorg
X11BASE=/usr/X11R6
USE_XPKGWEDGE=no

but files were being installed in /usr/pkg/xorg so i put in mk.conf the

X11ROOT=/usr/X11R6

and files are installed in /usr/X11R6 ok, but the package system
doesn't work ok. After installing the files i get the messages that
/usr/pkg/xorg/foo is in the PLIST but doesn't exist in the file system
(I get this for all the files).

This happens because the PLIST has X11ROOT_PREFIX/foo which gets
translated by pkg_admin to /usr/pkg/xorg
If i put in mk.conf X11ROOT_PREFIX=/usr/X11R6 then it doesn't work
again because pkg_admin translates the PLIST to /usr/pkg/usr/X11R6/foo.

What is the proper way of choosing the path that i want to install
xorg to ? (in this case /usr/X11R6)

Thank you.