Subject: Re: uhub0: port 1, set config at addr 2 failed
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Sigmund Skjelnes <skjelnes@robin.no>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/18/2006 14:29:00
Well, I'd got exactly the same problem with my HP Photosmart M407, it's
not 100% USB mass storage compatible, and won't cooperate with NetBSD.
I'd had to plug that ( feel free to put something in here ) camera into
an windows laptop which I'd have, transfer the pictures into hard drive,
and ftp them to the target machine. That camera is making a kernel panic
if I'd try to put it into a usb socket.

I'd also have an memstick, which some time ago behaved like something
you describe. It turned out, that the kernel was'nt keen on loading the
scsi driver. A memstick, as well as an camera is an scsi device on top
of an usb device. I'd put the memstick into the socket, and rebooted the
machine, and then the kernel found the memstick with grace. When you're
finished with it, and have unmounted it, it can just be pulled out of
the socket. If you are running x as I'am, you probably need xconsole, as
the messages from the kernel will pop up there in real-time. Next time
the memstick is inserted it will be found. After I'd have used the
memstick for some months, I'd noticed that it found the memstick even if
the machine has had an clean boot in the meantime. Never bothered to
find any reason for this, but I'll always sacrifice a chiken when I'm
ahead to do somehting advanced with the system. I'm always buying ready
fried chicken with rice and salad in a nearby shop, by the way.

When the kernel have found the memstick/camera, it looks like this:

umass0 at uhub3 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: Generic Mass Storage Device, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <Generic, Flash Disk, 7.78> disk fixed
sd0: fabricating a geometry
sd0: 250 MB, 250 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 512000 sectors

All looks ok, and the device is sd0, but you have to use disklabel to
find out how to mount it:

disklabel /dev/sd0

And it will hopefully show up some partitions. In this case, it have an
e partition with msdos file system, I'd then mount it like this:

mount -t msdos /dev/sd0e /mnt/floppy

And the memstick/camera is ready for use.

If the scsibus and sd0 does'nt came up, it might be that you have
compiled your own kernel and remmed out all scsi devices cause you have
no scsi disks ( which I'd had done ). Has to uncomment scsibus* and sd*
and recompile, then.

Hope it helps.
Cincerely,
Sigmund