Subject: Low audio volume - azalia chipset
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Randelhoff <markr@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/17/2006 10:01:33
Hi
Has anyone experienced low audio volumes when using netbsd 3 with the
Intel 945 GCZ Classic Btx motherboard.
I seem to be able to play wav files but they are very low volume. Very low.

I have tried to increase the audio.play.gain from 127 to 255 but it
remains set to 127 (i.e. will not accept 255).
I have looked at the various mixerctl output options and set the
output channels to boost = on and volume16=255.
Also when I reboot the system the hum on the speaker is very loud - I
guess because I have the volume on max.

It seems specific to this 945 chipset. I have tried netbsd on an old
intel 865 based chipset and the volume controls work well (same wav file).
The audio chipset on the 945 is the azalia revision 50.1 and is
picked up by the kernel on a boot.
The kde sound configuration panel indicates that there are no devices
- which I thought was strange. On the 865 motherboard it displays the
auich0 device.

I have also tested the motherboard using windows XP and the audio
plays back fine when using the wave volume control. Interestingly the
master volume control is disabled !

So either I am being dumb (quite possible) or the audio chipset
drivers (azalia) are not functioning properly.

Any help would be *much appreciated*

Kind regards
Mark