Subject: Re: [netbsd-help] Can't boot from hdd after successful
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: David Bronder <david-bronder@uiowa.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/14/2006 11:04:17
Sigmund Skjelnes wrote:

> George Georgalis wrote:
> >
> >I had a very similar problem but on a dual Xeon -- 2.0.2 worked
> >fine, 3.0 would not boot. It was first resolved by disconnecting
> >the ATA disk and using the onboard scsi instead. There was also
> >APCI problems. A full resolution came through a BIOS update.
> >
> >If a new bios is available these links, will help install it.
>
> Did an BIOS upgrade with the latest version available from Intel, and
> now it boots ok! Thanks a lot!

A BIOS upgrade did the trick for me, as well (from Gateway).  Kinda
painful in a Windows-free household, of course.

I am curious, though, about what changed between 2.0.2 and 3.0 that
would result in this boot failure on older BIOS levels (on different
motherboards vendors, even).

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa