Subject: Re: [netbsd-help] Re: Can't boot from hdd after successful installation of 3.0
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/13/2006 12:59:31
On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 03:27:12AM -0600, David Bronder wrote:
>David Laight wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 11:37:17PM +0100, Sigmund Skjelnes wrote:
>> > Well, I'd have booted from cd, and ran installboot:
>> > installboot /dev/rwd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
>> >
>> > No change, booting stops with "NetBSD MBR boot". Sorry.
>>
>> Check that the 'a' partition starts in the same place as the netbsd
>> mbr partition.  If not you'll need to run installboot specifying the
>> partition that is there, instead of 'a'.
>
>I'm having the same problem on a P-II/300 MHz Gateway box with an 80 GB
>Western Digital drive.  I've tried running installboot as above, as
>well as fdisk -c (per an earlier thread from the list), using a smaller
>partition for NetBSD, etc.  I'm booting from install floppies instead
>of a CD, but the results are the same (the floppy light comes on solid
>and the HDD activity light flashes rapidly).
>
>My 'a' and 'c' partitions match the single BIOS partition; all start
>at sector 63.
>
>I've tried NetBSD 3.0 release and various daily snapshots of netbsd-3
>and netbsd-3-0 branches (including the install floppies from those
>snapshots).  I just tried again with netbsd-3/200602120000Z, and had
>the same result (as-installed by sysinst, running installboot manually
>off the floppy boot, and running installboot after booting to the hard
>drive using the install bootloader on the floppy).
>
>An install of 1.6.2 from floppies works fine.

I had a very similar problem but on a dual Xeon -- 2.0.2 worked
fine, 3.0 would not boot. It was first resolved by disconnecting
the ATA disk and using the onboard scsi instead. There was also
APCI problems. A full resolution came through a BIOS update.

If a new bios is available these links, will help install it.

Non-Windows Based Image Files W/ImageApp
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
DOS 6.22 | Win98 | Win98SE | WinMe
Special Disk For Bios Flashing
http://1gighost.net/jerseyboy/drdflash.zip