Subject: Re: [netbsd-help] Re: Can't boot from hdd after successful installation of 3.0
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: David Bronder <david-bronder@uiowa.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/13/2006 03:27:12
David Laight wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 11:37:17PM +0100, Sigmund Skjelnes wrote:
> > Well, I'd have booted from cd, and ran installboot:
> > installboot /dev/rwd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
> >
> > No change, booting stops with "NetBSD MBR boot". Sorry.
>
> Check that the 'a' partition starts in the same place as the netbsd
> mbr partition.  If not you'll need to run installboot specifying the
> partition that is there, instead of 'a'.

I'm having the same problem on a P-II/300 MHz Gateway box with an 80 GB
Western Digital drive.  I've tried running installboot as above, as
well as fdisk -c (per an earlier thread from the list), using a smaller
partition for NetBSD, etc.  I'm booting from install floppies instead
of a CD, but the results are the same (the floppy light comes on solid
and the HDD activity light flashes rapidly).

My 'a' and 'c' partitions match the single BIOS partition; all start
at sector 63.

I've tried NetBSD 3.0 release and various daily snapshots of netbsd-3
and netbsd-3-0 branches (including the install floppies from those
snapshots).  I just tried again with netbsd-3/200602120000Z, and had
the same result (as-installed by sysinst, running installboot manually
off the floppy boot, and running installboot after booting to the hard
drive using the install bootloader on the floppy).

An install of 1.6.2 from floppies works fine.

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa