Subject: Can't boot from hdd after successful installation of 3.0
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Sigmund Skjelnes <skjelnes@robin.no>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/12/2006 17:06:12
After install of NetBSD 3.0 the cd were removed and the machine
rebooted. After ram check etc. it wrote "NetBSD MBR boot" at the top of
the screen, and the hdd lamp is flashing, but no more is happening.

The bootloader starts ok when I'd boot from cd, and I'd stopped it and
entered "boot hd0a:netbsd", it boots ok.

I'm sure the first partition is active ( vould have came up with "no
system" ), but I'd do not know any tool that could be used to check
that. fdisk and mbrlabel lists only sizes and offset etc.

This is an rather old Pentium II machine, and I'd partitioned the 19 Gb
hard drive to test wether the reason could be that the partition is too
large. The active a partition is 512Mb, im not sure if this is the
limit, or if the size is limited at all. Found that the hdd works faster
that way, so I'd decided to keep it.

The only problem I'd have seen, is that the hdd geometry is reported
wrong. I'd have tried to enter the geometry, but I could'nt enter the
number of cylinders. The machine won't boot with corrected geometry or
with the default one. Entered the BIOS setup and it have found the hdd
ok with correct geometry.

I'd have tried to install NetBSD 1.5, and that boots ok from hdd, and
2.0.2 as well, that would'nt boot too, wrote even nothing on the screen.

I'd have searched some howto's and mailing lists, and have found similar
cases. One proposal were to reinstall bootloader if I'd could boot it by
booting from cd and then stop loader and enter hd0a:netbsd. This make no
change.

Anyone have a idea how to fix this one? I'd be very grateful if somebody
solves it.

Cincerely,
Sigmund