Subject: Re: using ipsec on top of ipfilter and ssh
To: Simon Truss <simon@bigblue.demon.co.uk>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/08/2006 20:09:40
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Simon Truss wrote:
> Henry Nelson wrote:
>>
>> What I'd like to do is add a layer of security so that someone cannot
>> get packets through the firewall by spoofing my work IP address.  Ipsec
>> seems like the way to go, but even after reading http://www.netbsd.org/
>> Documentation/network/ipsec/ I cannot figure out where to start.
>>
>> I was thinking that transport mode would work, and I don't think it
>> would be too hard to configure the NetBSD side at home, but I have no
>> idea what to do on the workplace side.
>>
>> Any help, pointers, suggestions much appreciated.
>
> try openvpn the documentation proved clearer to me. After spending time
> reading all their docs I could configure a working system with client and
> server certs within 10mins. You may need to recompile your kernel with
> routing support and tunnel interface driver.

Yes, OpenVPN is fantastic. A big bonus when using with with restrictive
filewalls (e.g. no outbound access at all except for a web proxy) is that
you can connect via a webproxy (even if it wants NTLM authentication) to
your OpenVPN server (if you get the server to listen on port 443, it just
looks like a long HTTPS session!).

--
Stephen