Subject: Re: Problems with sendmail
To: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
From: Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/06/2006 12:58:22
On Feb 6, 2006, at 11:10 AM, Jan Danielsson wrote:
>    However, there are reasons I do _not_ want to use the dynamically
> assigned name. So, I would like to hard code my host name to something
> else. This works great for all application I have (afaik) except
> sendmail.
>
>    This is what happens if I hard code my host name, (in this case
> it's
> "anca"), and send a test mail using the command "mail root":

"anca" isn't a valid top-level domain name.

You can't simply make up names and expect mail to work; you have to
add that hostname as an A record in a DNS domain you own or which is
willing to add you (consider dyndns.org, or similar).  If you get
your own domain, you should also set up appropriate MX records.

The other choice would be to look into FEATURE(nocanonify) and rely
on a smart host somewhere which is willing to handle email on your
behalf.

--
-Chuck