Subject: Re: distcc and pkgsrc
To: NetBSD Help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: wrzymski <wrzymski@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/04/2006 16:59:34
2006/2/4, Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2006.salmi.ch>:
> wrzymski --> netbsd-help (2006-02-04 00:01:03 +0100):
> > 2006/2/3, Jarmo Jaakkola <jarmo.jaakkola@tut.fi>:
> [...]
> That's not true. If superuser privileges are required, ${SU_CMD} is
> executed (which is ${ROOT_CMD} by default, which is `/usr/bin/su -
> root -c' for most systems).

Yes you are right.

> > With such configuration you can't expect almost any boost with typical
> > c programs.
>
> Why not?

My experience with various pkgsrc programs tells me that high values
of     MAKEFLAGS=3D-j often ends with failed compilations. Distcc isn't
magic wand it "shares" only preprocessed code and sending it to slower
machines shouldn't give you any noticeable and worth effort kick. Of
course distcc can be useful. For example I use it to cross compile
packages at my Jornada (hpcsh) port. It has only 32mb memory and
133Mhz sh3 CPU. I mount pkgsrc tree and swap over NFS for compilation.
With typical C programs I guess it's 20-40% faster than native
compilation. The real kick is for low memory machines like Jornada
with swap over NFS cross compiling C++ files means 10x faster or even
more :) Without distcc I couldn't compile negatively kismet for
Jornada, swap file was growing 4x memory and after couple of hours
ending with panic. Distcc can do the trick in about 1h :)

To be 100% sure you should compare timings by yourself and give us feedback=