Subject: Re: Building apache from source
To: Dan Labute <dan.labute@netcontech.com>
From: Mark Kirby <mark@coris.org.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/02/2006 21:59:00
On Thursday 02 February 2006 17:20, Dan Labute wrote:
> Brian Asemi <asemisldkfj <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Dan Labute wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >

> > >             Just wondering if someone could walk me through building
> > > apache2 from source on an i386 machine? I've read over the pkgsrc
> > > documentation, however I found it unclear about how to actually get the
> > > distfiles.
> >
> > Not sure why you cross-posted this, I believe that's frowned upon around
> > here.  pkgsrc automatically fetches the distfiles when you run make
> > install.  If you're talking about the pkgsrc distfile, it's available
> > via FTP at ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/.
>
> Ah, my apologies - I'll keep the cross-posting in check in the future. I
> guess I'm just unclear on one thing - what do I run make install on
> exactly? I assume I have to have something present on my machine before I
> can try to make install apache2? If so, what do I need to get?

You don't need to get anything.

Just cd to pkgsrc/www/apache2

and issue make install. That will download the apache source code, configure
build and install it.

If you want to make a binary package for later use issue a make package
instead. It will build install and package apache for you.

Thats all there is to it. :)

Mark